Mungioli Theatricals is privileged to have successfully maintained 50% BIPOC Staff for most of
our existence. We have always honored, and continue to honor, the Creative Process of
Casting, and while we have always supported and continue to support BIPOC Artists and efforts
in all the ways that we can, we acknowledge that we can all, always, do better. And it is toward
this that we strive.
We have built our reputation on willingness to have hard conversations and thus expand
possibilities; our choices reflect the rich and diverse world in which we live, creating even more
insightful and powerful storytelling.
Our record speaks for itself:
- We spent a decade working as the exclusive Casting Director to Bill T Jones (FELA!,
SUPER FLY and others), and another decade working with Hal Prince before that.
- And YES, we are the office who introduced the idea that the role of Julie would be
played by an African-American Woman, and maintained that very complex casting for
the entire five-year worldwide run of the Hal Prince/Susan Stroman SHOW BOAT
- Most recently, we were able to put together entirely interracial casts for Joshua
Turchin’s THE PERFECT FIT, and Steve Fisher's THE LITTLE DANCER
- With our latest projects, such as Nikki Sixx's THE HEROIN DIARIES, we continue to take
the time to ask hard questions about how restrictive racially specific roles need to be.
The list goes on and on, and we have always done it just that way:
- Diahann Carroll as the first and only Black Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD
- Margaret Ann Gates as the first Asian-American Actress to play Christine in Andrew
Lloyd Webber's PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (twenty years before it happened on
Broadway!) (And Scott Watanabe, an Asian-American Actor in the role of Piangi in the
very same company)
- Harolyn Blackwell as Cunegonde in the most recent Broadway revival of CANDIDE
- Valarie Pettiford (Tony-Award-nominee) & Desmond Richardson as leads in the Tony-
Award-Winning Best Musical FOSSE...
- Jennifer Kumiyama in Disney's ALADDIN
Fully inclusive Storytelling can produce Magic!
We expand artistic visions without ever narrowing options.
We wholly support you and your entire Creative Team.
Contact us! Let us bring Magic to your next Production!